Has anyone else here received notice of a new online anthropology journal with the grandiose title Anthropology of this Century? Issue one features some heavy hitters, e.g. Maurice Bloch and Sherry Ortner.

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No suggestions about journals, for two good reasons: (1) I haven't read the paper, don't know that I'd recommend publication anywhere; (2) I haven't been keeping up with anthro journals enough to know where your best shot is, if I had read the paper. The only bits of common sense that I can offer are to go to a library, spend some time looking at all of the journals that seem plausible to you, and try to pick out the one that looks like the best fit in terms of (a) focus:religion, rhetoric, urban studies, folklore....(b) style:a match for the way you write?....(c) the authors you have cited: is your paper part of this journal's conversation? Once you've selected the journal, then go back and tweak the paper to fit its focus, make sure it conforms to the style demands in the "For authors" information, and cites people that those who publish in it cite—especially other authors who have published in the journal, since they are likely to be among its reviewers.

Good luck.

John,

I hadn't known about this new venture. 

Reading through the journal yesterday, I thought that Harry Walker's review of Webb Keane's Christian Moderns introduced the book very nicely. Not so sure I agree with the argument of Maurice Bloch's 'Blob' article - simply because I've not convinced that cognitive science possesses the relevance for anthropology that he claims for it. But I can't fault his aim in trying to tackle such a big issue as the 'self' as a matter for comparison. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the tip-off! 

Philip,

The "Blob" piece is not, I think, the best of Bloch. It raises a bunch of interesting questions but doesn't do much to answer them except point to cognitive science—which won't do most of his readers much good, since they won't know what he is talking about. In my case, the year (1978-1979) I spent as a research assistant/LISP hacker in Schank and Abelson's AI Project at Yale and my recently renewed interest in social networks, data mining and complex system modeling make me a bit more receptive than you seem to be. I don't see cognitive science as the answer to all possible questions that one might have about selves. I can, however, imagine a fruitful dialogue between humanists and cognitive scientists if they learn how to talk with each other. The major obstacle is, of course, the math and computational techniques that are, alas, only black boxes to humanists, who can only critique their input and output while having nothing to say about the mechanisms inside. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service