Anthropology should try to solve the most inportant problems of contemporary world

Dear all,

I would like to ask for an advice.

I am looking for papers and/or books authored by anthropologists which explicitly assert that anthropology should abandon all obscure topics it is studying (I do not want to insult anyone so I would not give any examples) and instead try to solve the most important problems of contemporary world (e.g. world financial crisis, ethnic conflicts, etc.).

I do not think that any topic is obscure to such an extent that it should not be researched at all. At least because if it is part of human behavior, it should concern us. But in the last few years, I have an impression, that these voices emerge more and more.

Any suggestions? Open access articles would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not only Anthropology, but all humankind's knowledge should actively contribute to making this planet a good place to live for all who share this planet. I have more to say to this at www.ModelEarth.Org .

Thanks, Mr. Jan Hearthstone.

Unfortunately, human history abundantly illustrates that philosophers are never the powers-that-be, though the latter commonly pose as philosophers for purposes of self-aggrandizement (perhaps also self-justification) and demagoguery.  Although governments attempt constantly to maintain an orderliness of sorts that at least achieves self-perpetuation, there is no universal, global homologue or analogue -- League of Nations and United Nations et al. notwithstanding.  I often, cynically, view humanity as an overcrowded, driverless bus, careening down a mountain road.

... a hand-basket on its way to Hell, with us all fighting over the tiller handle ...

Larry Stout said:

... " I often, cynically, view humanity as an overcrowded, driverless bus, careening down a mountain road."

I entertain mixed metaphors, Jan.  I think of the hand-basket as a personal chthonic vehicle, and we may ask whether Hell supplies it in each case, or if we each are obliged to bring our own to the point of descent!  ;>)

" ... words, words, words ..."

Till we, all of us, agree on what it is that we want the Earth look like at its optimum (optimal for all who share the Earth), we'll continue on our way to destroying ourselves and the the planet.

What I am interested in is finding effective ways of unifying and harmonizing all of our diverse/divergent plans for our future on one planet, with only one future possible at a time.

Thanks, Hearthstone.

Short of universal genetic retrofitting, I'm afraid things millennial will remain dire.  And things messianic will remain fictional.

Thought you might be interested in this book, Jan:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Conflict-Resolution-Filippo-Aureli/dp...

Mr. Jan Hearthstone said:

" ... words, words, words ..."

Till we, all of us, agree on what it is that we want the Earth look like at its optimum (optimal for all who share the Earth), we'll continue on our way to destroying ourselves and the the planet.

What I am interested in is finding effective ways of unifying and harmonizing all of our diverse/divergent plans for our future on one planet, with only one future possible at a time.

Thanks, Hearthstone.

Larry,

could you, briefly, explain why?

Thanks, Hearthstone.

Larry Stout said:

I haven't read the book, Jan.  I merely stumbled onto the title, and since it bears on conflict resolution, I thought I would bring it to your attention, in case it might prove to be of marginal interest.  You can read a blurb at the publisher's web page (Univ. of Calif. press).  Cheers, Larry

Mr. Jan Hearthstone said:

Larry,

could you, briefly, explain why?

Thanks, Hearthstone.

Larry Stout said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service