Can we really understand a cultural/social phenomenon using just one theoretical framework or specific analytical tool/lens?

It is pretty obvious that culture is a web of causes and effects, big and small, and society is a web of groups and institutions, organized and chaotic, yet I still read texts that peddle a specific theory to be the answer to anything social/cultural.  I'm currently in a state of becoming an anti-solo theory.  I just cannot force myself to just be Marxist or Postmodernist to really understand oppression and power.  A web of theories is what is needed to get to the center of any matter that is problematic. 

Studying corruption has made me realize that even weather, climate, or season can be a factor for corruption to happen and the corrupt to operate.  Corruption has to be mapped out thoroughly using multiple lenses and analyses if we are to understand the entirety of its anatomy.  Maybe,  just maybe, including the psychology of lying and thieving or the evolutionary biology of hoarding, competition, and self-gratification can give us ideas that drafting and passing anti-corruption bills/laws alone will not really eradicate corruption.       

What do you think?

Views: 725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At first I must have 2 appreciate it very very very much. It's human psychology 2 make things simplified or unified.Most of us is in search of the panacea called GUT(Grand Unified Theory) which will explain everything.We should not forget synthesis & unification is not same. 2 decades ago, Stephen Hocking expressed something like this in his "Brief History Of Time" & confidently declared about "End Of Physics"  which is not very far.But as he is really genius he understood his mistake & declared that also without any ambiguity  a few years ago.But the trained doesn't faded away.
Highly appreciable comment.

Keith Hart said:
What interests me about your web of theories approach, M, is that it may be closer than most academic theories to how people think. In particular, how does memory function when we encounter something? I think of my own as a ganglion, a living web of tissue with linked nodes of varying size. If some new impression lights up a part of it, it may trigger off other parts, including some of the really big nodes. Then it is likely to find a place in my mind for future use.

Klaus Rominger said:

Just using the word "corruption" already implies a singularity that dismisses all other possibilities.

Cross cultural analysis is like surgery.

It takes a fine meticulous hand.

k

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2020   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service