Hi,

I'm going to do an Extended Project for school, and inspired by Philippe Bourgois' work I wanted to write a report/essay on the anthropology of East Harlem, focusing on the impact of the crack epidemic on the community. I can only find work by Bourgois on this specific issue, though, so I'm wondering if I should broaden out the subject to anthropology of crack cocaine. 

I'm very new to this so if anyone could suggest anthropological or sociological work on crack cocaine which I could read, then please do.

W

Views: 387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a very interesting project, any chance you'd be willing to share the results?

Dear Will, 

It seems that most of the work suggested is fairly recent. Perhaps it is interesting to take a classic on board that unmistakeably made its impact on the themes you are interested in and offers the possibility to add some historical dimensions to your essay.

William Foote Whyte - Street Corner Society: The Social Structure of an Italian Slum.

It was originally published in 1943 and focuses on ‘the Italian American slum he called "Cornerville"—Boston's North End’.

"Street Corner Society broke new ground and set a standard for field research in American cities that remains a source of intellectual challenge."—Robert Washington, Reviews in Anthropology 

See also the publishers page - http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/S/bo3684722.html

Good luck with your project.

Best,

Justin

Thanks, Justin. Bourgois' 'In Search of Respect' has a chapter on the social history of East Harlem which mentions this book and is very helpful in providing context. And yes, Samantha, I will gladly post up my essay when it's done. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service