Before the Marian prayer, the Pope mentioned that at the time of Jesus the “term Gospel” (Euangellion) was used to proclaim Roman emperors. Whatever the content, these proclamations were seen as “good news,” news of salvation because the emperor was seen as the lord of the world and his edict were seen as heralding something good.”
“Applying this word to Jesus’ preaching,” the Pope said, “was heavily charged with criticism. It was like saying that God, not the emperor, was Lord of the world and that the true Gospel was that of Jesus Christ. The ‘Good News’ that Jesus proclaimed is best encapsulated by these words: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Mt, 4:17; Mk, 1:15).
From http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2008/01/on-euangellion.html

This is something I have never heard before and sounds unbelievably provocative! Did Paul use the same word (Euangellion) to describe the teachings of Jesus that was already in use to proclaim Roman emperors? Proto-Evangelion is the word used for the works attributed to James describing the life of Mary. Applying the word used to proclaim an emperor to the life of Mary seems just as provocative.

I seem to recall that evangelion was a reward given to the carrier of the labarum when the news of battle was positive. Sorry I can't find that reference right now.

Views: 520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Susan Burns said:
Wallace Budge translates this as Ab/Av.
If this is translated as Ab/Av what language is it translated to?
Susan Burns said:
It could be thought of as the spirit of the new being. This spirit combines with the heartblood to create the KA.
This is a huge stretch Susan. The Egyptians believed the living being had multiple parts, the Ka wasn't created by combining things with blood it was given at childbirth by either Heqet (Frog) or Meskhenet (Goddess of childbirth) who had already created it and then gave it by breathing it into them. Rather reminiscent of Genesis where Adam is given the breath of life don;t you think?
Susan Burns said:
The glyph for Ka is hands held up receiving the spiritual force of the sun represented by the falcon. The Egyptians believed that each person had both a physical and a spiritual nature and so was in accordance with their binary view of existence.
If the Egyptians had a "binary" view of existence why did thy have 6 parts to the human being 5 of which are the soul? Wouldn't it be only the body (ha) and then one other? Instead we have the Body (Ha), Heart (Ib), Shadow (Sheut), Name (Ren), Ba (Soul), and Spirit (Ka) which make 6 different parts. This is hardly binary. The word ha itself can mean the combination or sum of all parts, to have a sum of all parts you really need more than 2 (binary) parts.
Susan Burns said:
The mind of the Hebrew speaker was the beneficiary of this leap in self-awareness before Moses struck the deal with YHWH.
This is really interesting. What deal did Moses strike with Yahweh?
Susan Burns said:
The Hebrew understood the duality of existence and the lesson of the date palm.
The duality of existence? is that why we are still debating if we have a body, spirit, and soul? Is that why we have a"Triune" deity?
Susan Burns said:
During the festival of Succoth, palm fronds are waved to represent new life. These fronds are called lulav which means ‘stiffening/erect/erection’ in Arabic. It is interesting that this word is built using ‘Av’.
You may notice at the beginning of this post I asked what language Ab/Av was supposed to be translated to, this is where this is important.
Susan Burns said:
IMO the separation of the leaflets represent the separation of the physical world from the spiritual. A twin, or binary double, of the physical world exists in the spiritual and comprised the world view of the Hebrew speaker’s mind.
It seems to me you totally missed, or twisted?, the point of the Greek Mind (which you never mentioned and that in itself is strange considering this entire thread started because of Greek word) Hebrew Mind (which you are now trying to say is Egyptian).
Consider this little idea for one minute. The Greek Mind is "Scientific" and questioning, the Hebrew Mind is accepting of what they see before them. That was the point of my previous post, in NO way was it supposed to lead you to go so far OFF topic that it isn't funny. Instead it was supposed to help you see why Paul used the word Euangellion the way he did. He didn't need to use Semitic symbolism because the Greek Mind wouldn't find it useful, what he did need to use was an entry point to grab attention something that would help the Greek mind to enquire "what is this Good News?"
Michael,
The Greek mind is the beneficiary of many thousands of years of language built by Egyptian and Hebrew culture. The Hebrew 'mind' is associated with the heart. I attempted to explain why that came to be so but apparently did not succeed.

Michael Findlay said:
Susan Burns said:
Wallace Budge translates this as Ab/Av.
If this is translated as Ab/Av what language is it translated to?
Susan Burns said:
It could be thought of as the spirit of the new being. This spirit combines with the heartblood to create the KA.
This is a huge stretch Susan. The Egyptians believed the living being had multiple parts, the Ka wasn't created by combining things with blood it was given at childbirth by either Heqet (Frog) or Meskhenet (Goddess of childbirth) who had already created it and then gave it by breathing it into them. Rather reminiscent of Genesis where Adam is given the breath of life don;t you think?
Susan Burns said:
The glyph for Ka is hands held up receiving the spiritual force of the sun represented by the falcon. The Egyptians believed that each person had both a physical and a spiritual nature and so was in accordance with their binary view of existence.
If the Egyptians had a "binary" view of existence why did thy have 6 parts to the human being 5 of which are the soul? Wouldn't it be only the body (ha) and then one other? Instead we have the Body (Ha), Heart (Ib), Shadow (Sheut), Name (Ren), Ba (Soul), and Spirit (Ka) which make 6 different parts. This is hardly binary. The word ha itself can mean the combination or sum of all parts, to have a sum of all parts you really need more than 2 (binary) parts.
Susan Burns said:
The mind of the Hebrew speaker was the beneficiary of this leap in self-awareness before Moses struck the deal with YHWH.
This is really interesting. What deal did Moses strike with Yahweh?
Susan Burns said:
The Hebrew understood the duality of existence and the lesson of the date palm.
The duality of existence? is that why we are still debating if we have a body, spirit, and soul? Is that why we have a"Triune" deity?
Susan Burns said:
During the festival of Succoth, palm fronds are waved to represent new life. These fronds are called lulav which means ‘stiffening/erect/erection’ in Arabic. It is interesting that this word is built using ‘Av’.
You may notice at the beginning of this post I asked what language Ab/Av was supposed to be translated to, this is where this is important.
Susan Burns said:
IMO the separation of the leaflets represent the separation of the physical world from the spiritual. A twin, or binary double, of the physical world exists in the spiritual and comprised the world view of the Hebrew speaker’s mind.
It seems to me you totally missed, or twisted?, the point of the Greek Mind (which you never mentioned and that in itself is strange considering this entire thread started because of Greek word) Hebrew Mind (which you are now trying to say is Egyptian).
Consider this little idea for one minute. The Greek Mind is "Scientific" and questioning, the Hebrew Mind is accepting of what they see before them. That was the point of my previous post, in NO way was it supposed to lead you to go so far OFF topic that it isn't funny. Instead it was supposed to help you see why Paul used the word Euangellion the way he did. He didn't need to use Semitic symbolism because the Greek Mind wouldn't find it useful, what he did need to use was an entry point to grab attention something that would help the Greek mind to enquire "what is this Good News?"
Susan Burns said:
Michael,
The Greek mind is the beneficiary of many thousands of years of language built by Egyptian and Hebrew culture.
I disagree. There is very little history to indicate this at all and if you consider the Greek colonisations plenty to indicate, especially if you also take into account that Koine Greek become the lingua franca throughout the eastern Mediterranean and also other parts of southern Europe, that it was indeed the Greek Mind that turned the Hebrew mind into a doubting mind.
Susan Burns said:
The Hebrew 'mind' is associated with the heart. I attempted to explain why that came to be so but apparently did not succeed.
Susan, this is an over simplification and to post so much off topic material to say that just served to confuse the issue. If I remember correctly this topic was about why Paul used the word Euangellion I suggested you look up this concept so you could see why using concepts readily recognisable to a Hebrew mind would not do Paul any good (eu) when communicating with Greek minds.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service