Allow me a ludic interval for cooling down the seriousness of the issues discussed recently. My dionisyan side is calling and I wonder whether the OAC committee could think about organizing a drink or dinner (although it may be hard to find a restaurant) during the AAA meeting in Philadelphia. I think it would be nice to meet and it could make the OAC (or whatever will be the future name) more corporeal and co-operative.

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We would have to find a room to meet and drink and snack in, Giovanni. Trying to crowd in a bar might not work. I don't see why the 'committee' should organize it. Any member who knows Philadelphia well or has a connection to the AAA meetings organizers could launch the thing. Perhaps we could start a Forum discussion group (this one?) nearer the time to discuss how we could make best use of so many members being in the same place at one time. It occurs to me that December is the provisional time the admins gave themselves to try to launch the OAC (half a year). So questions of governance would be appropriate then. But I hope that, rather than indulge in parish pump politics as we have in the last couple of weeks, we might air possible creative collaborations and other developments of the network there. Let us also be mindful of the large number of OAC members who will never attend a meeting of the AAA in their lives. Their voices should be heard too. This suggests maybe an online conference beforehand and possibly afterwards.
Hi Keith, I didn't want to put burdens on you. I just thought that a major event such as the AAA could offer OAC members a chance to meet in person and discuss about the future of the website or for sharing interests, academic discussions or just indulge with like-minded people. I agree, we could use this or another forum to organize the event but we would still need someone connected to AAA who could try to rent a room at the Marriott. I am honestly not interest in discussing the question of democracy, administation or governance of OAC. I am more attracted in witty and stimulating conversations. I feel OAC has currently too much gravitas and need some humour as well. I am for making anthropology a gay science (to say it with Clastres, no pun intended). If you want to take any decision I suggest to first discuss it in a forum and later set up a survey like the one for the name change. I am not sure an online conference would work. I am available in Philadelphia for helping with the OAC meeting, wherever that would be.

Keith Hart said:
We would have to find a room to meet and drink and snack in, Giovanni. Trying to crowd in a bar might not work. I don't see why the 'committee' should organize it. Any member who knows Philadelphia well or has a connection to the AAA meetings organizers could launch the thing. Perhaps we could start a Forum discussion group (this one?) nearer the time to discuss how we could make best use of so many members being in the same place at one time. It occurs to me that December is the provisional time the admins gave themselves to try to launch the OAC (half a year). So questions of governance would be appropriate then. But I hope that, rather than indulge in parish pump politics as we have in the last couple of weeks, we might air possible creative collaborations and other developments of the network there. Let us also be mindful of the large number of OAC members who will never attend a meeting of the AAA in their lives. Their voices should be heard too. This suggests maybe an online conference beforehand and possibly afterwards.
I'll come if I go (still checking the budget).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service