Yesterday evening I found myself, as a member of the Roppongi Mens Chorus, at the Mexican Embassy in Tokyo singing the Mexican and Japanese national anthems as part of the celebrations of the Bicentennial of Mexican independence (1810) and the Mexican Revolution (1910). I was moved to quip to a friend that,

"Given the tendency of some of our colleagues to read sacred texts literally, I wonder what they will make of the words and music of the Himno Nacional MexicanoPersonally, if I were living in a part of the country that the Mexicans feel was stolen from them in 1848...."

He replied,

"Yes, stanza five's a cracker:

War, war without quarter to any who dare to tarnish the coat of arms! 

War, war! Let the national banners be soaked in waves of blood. 

War, war! In the mountain, in the valley, let the cannons thunder in horrid unison

and may the sonorous echoes resound

with cries of Union! Liberty!"

That got me to thinking. National anthems and the flags with which they are commonly associated are what Victor Turner labeled dominant symbols, the focus of attention at civic ceremonies that celebrate patriotism. That let me to Wikipedia, where I found the following bits of history,

Anthems rose to prominence in Europe during the 19th century, but some are much older in origin; the oldest national anthem is "Het Wilhelmus", theDutch national anthem, written between 1568 and 1572 during the Dutch Revolt. The Japanese anthem, "Kimi ga Yo", has its lyrics taken from aHeian period (794-1185) poem, yet it was not set to music until 1880.[1] "God Save the Queen", the national anthem of the United Kingdom and one of the two national anthems of New Zealand, was first performed in 1745 under the title "God Save the King". Spain's national anthem, the "Marcha Real" (The Royal March), dates from 1770 (written in 1761). The oldest of Denmark's two national anthems, "Kong Kristian stod ved højen mast" was adopted in 1780 and "La Marseillaise", the French anthem, was written in 1792 and adopted in 1795. Serbia was the first nation to have a national anthem in east,[clarification needed] having Rise up, Serbia! in 1804.

An anthem can become a country's national anthem by a provision in the country's constitution, by a law enacted by its legislature or simply by tradition. The majority of national anthems are either marches or hymns in style. The countries of Latin America tend towards more operatic pieces, while a handful of countries use a simple fanfare.

Although national anthems are usually in the most common language of the country, whether de facto or official, there are notable exceptions. India's anthem, "Jana Gana Mana", is a highly Sanskritized version of Bengali. States with more than one national language may offer several versions of their anthem: For instance, Switzerland's anthem has different lyrics for each of the country's four official languages (FrenchGermanItalian and Romansh). Canada's national anthem has different lyrics for each of the country's official languages (English and French), and on some occasions is sung with a mixture of stanzas taken from its French and English versions. The Sri Lankan national anthem has translated lyrics for each of the country's official languages Sinhala and Tamil. It was actually written in Sinhala, but a Tamil translation is also played on some occasions and mostly played in Tamil Provinces and Tamil schools. On the other hand, South Africa's national anthem is unique in that five of the country's eleven official languages are used in the same anthem (the first stanza is divided between two languages, with each of the remaining three stanzas in a different language). Apart from God Save the Queen, the New Zealand national anthem is now traditionally sung with the first verse in Māori (Aotearoa) and the second in English (God Defend New Zealand). The tune is the same but the words are not a direct translation of each other. Another multilingual country, Spain, has no words in its anthem, La Marcha Real, although in 2007 a national competition to write words was launched.[2]"

Since we have OAC members from so many different countries, it struck me that this could become quite an amazing collective project, tracing the history of national anthems and exploring their significance in our postmodern, 21st century world. Anyone interested?

Views: 129

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a link for those who are interested in the "official" history of Australia's National Anthem.

Unlike many others I do not find the Australian Anthem to be awe inspiring but then again I personally think nationalistic feelings towards a song or flag can, and have, create issues. When the song, or flag, is the be all and end all of being Australian, or whatever nationality we care to mention, I think we have a problem. To me it is more important to understand what being Australian is than to knowing the words to each verse of the anthem. By the way last time I heard it someone told me there were another 2 verses. I don't know if this is true nor do I really care.

I must admit to liking the NZ Anthem but that is only because they include the Maori language and it actually sounds like an anthem.

As the "official" history states there have been a few attempts to settle the issue of our national anthem and it has by no means died as an issue. Here is a link to an online petition for yet another change, and believe it or not while I believe we shouldn't change something if it isn't broken I personally feel this option is a much more appropriate one.
Michael, thank you for your reply. Since no one else seems interested, I will close this discussion to contribute to minimization of clutter on OAC.

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service