Sub-fields in cultural anthropology-- help me get the ball rolling!

I know that most of the posts here are for discussions, but this is more of a question. I have been searching the internet for the sub-fields of cultural anthropology and the site with the most information was Wikipedia, listing:

I explored the subjects that interested me, but I know there are probably more topics to explore. I got my AA in Anthro at Santa Monica College and recently transferred Willamette University, where I am now a junior. In the last week or so, I have really been cracking down on the specialization of anthropology I wish to pursue. I want my work as an anthropologist to make a meaningful impact on the quality of life. I have recently worked in the anti-slavery movement because it is one of my passions. However, I am torn because I am also extremely interested in studying altered states of consciousness. I feel as if transpersonal anthropology is not the platform I should use if I wish to make a sizable impact, but I would choose to study this subject if I did not have such a passion for helping people. I was wondering if any of you know of any more sub-fields of cultural anthropology that I could look into or if you have any suggestions of where to look or what to explore.

Here are some other interests of mine:

-tribes (especially African, central American, and South American)

-Mayan or Aztec culture of past and present (I have studied abroad in Belize three times now, all studying some aspect of the Maya, even dug on ruins)

-art!

-rituals (Of the cross-cultural rituals I know of so far, coming of age, rites of passage, and death rituals interest me the most)

-indigenous rights (One of my largest concerns in choosing a specialty is that I don't have much of a politically-thinking mind, though...)

Thank you so much!

--Torie

Views: 5864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I answered many of your questions in my head--and yes, there is a career help center. My anthro theory class is actually scheduled for a meeting (on the 17th) with someone to help us produce an updated idea of what we want to do with our major. That's the reason I have been trying to gather up so much research. I want to go in prepared! I know that choosing a sub-field won't be too much of a help, but I was just curious if there are any other areas of study that are well-known that I have never heard of. I was thinking that maybe some other specialization out there will inspire me and shape my choices of study as an anthropologist. If I never knew about transpersonal anthropology, my interests wouldn't lie where they do now!

I certainly want to do fieldwork--but isn't fieldwork applicable to any of the subfields? I'm not afraid to talk to people, I'm just trying to get the resources together to decide how I want to go about doing it.

Thanks so much for your help! This is slowly but surely helping me along.

--Torie

Torie,

It sounds as if you would find a comfortable place in the emerging field of Biblical Anthropology. All the points of interest you listed must be explored.  You will find some articles on the sub-field here:

http://biblicalanthropology.blogspot.com/2011/06/using-bible-to-tes...

http://biblicalanthropology.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-does-biblical...

http://jandyongenesis.blogspot.com/2011/10/extant-biblical-tribes-a...

Best wishes,

Alice

Torie Feldman said:

I answered many of your questions in my head--and yes, there is a career help center. My anthro theory class is actually scheduled for a meeting (on the 17th) with someone to help us produce an updated idea of what we want to do with our major. That's the reason I have been trying to gather up so much research. I want to go in prepared! I know that choosing a sub-field won't be too much of a help, but I was just curious if there are any other areas of study that are well-known that I have never heard of. I was thinking that maybe some other specialization out there will inspire me and shape my choices of study as an anthropologist. If I never knew about transpersonal anthropology, my interests wouldn't lie where they do now!

I certainly want to do fieldwork--but isn't fieldwork applicable to any of the subfields? I'm not afraid to talk to people, I'm just trying to get the resources together to decide how I want to go about doing it.

Thanks so much for your help! This is slowly but surely helping me along.

--Torie

What about Archeology and Linguistics, they were counted as two of the four main fields of Anthropology, along with Cultural Anthropology and Paleoanthropology, in my first introductory course on Anthropology that I had eons ago in college.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service