I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on violence were.  My Marxist leanings tell me that violence is related to poverty; that the state becomes necessary in human society only at that juncture in human society where there is a split between those who have and those who have not.  However, we see examples like the Yanomamo who have a fairly egalitarian system in place who engage in lots of violence.  I live in an area of the city known for its violence.  A few years ago a woman was killed in broad daylight in front of a whole crowd of people.  My neighborhood happens to be a poor one.  I've heard that most marriages  break up because of finances and I can only imagine that domestic violence is a product of this.  However, America is arguably the richest country in the world, yet we have more violence than most other industrialized nations.  I suppose a distinction must be made here regarding in-group and out-group violence.  America has more in-group violence and we also engage in more out-group violence.  Is our violent culture the product of a devaluation of human life brought on by the ideological hegemony of the might-is-right doctrine?

Views: 551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Participants in this forum may be interested in one currently underway on OAC, "Violence," organized by Ryan Anderson.  Diverse perspectives are welcome and important in approaching this important subject.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service