It would be nice to block a few within this community.

 

Lene Pettersen

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's impossible to block spammers before they do it and the Admins usually suspend them as soon as we notice. Do you have any suggestions?
Dear Keith,

I received something like that at my e-mail address, it is fake, since there is no comment on my account. This is the second time I got spam of this sort pretending to be from Co-operative.

anita added a comment to your profile on Open Anthropology CooperativeMonday, 1 March, 2010 18:16From Open Anthropology Cooperative Mon Mar 1 17:16:01 2010
X-Apparently-To: labusia@yahoo.com via 67.195.8.154; Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:16:07 -0800
Return-Path:
X-YMailISG: QwPeQSIWLDutnXTvDAtgNhqSNBIzn1P4b7wh_F5m70I6pxYuXc61C4kJyWG2wIuPraram_6j_.PA6XZVRk_rtWBLRmFqh36FjhvdurRwVGxpGV.S7yRPqVOC.Pcf0a1EMubOOu0RWP6OHUhJuvUlo025MoOt5NvZ6uBz7m_zsxc8uDY11b6n6ZPbvr.9nWRalxKe_Wwb7se08G2uyP8BMrnIKaHrdX8Nf3A0oHX76qjztImT4ksOOLFcECofRjCZPM6NXgoNjiWLax4eAC3TuRd.BZaWIdmNy6yV2.ylRcJhTw--
X-Originating-IP: [208.82.16.199]
Authentication-Results: mta1052.mail.sk1.yahoo.com from=; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=openanthcoop.ning.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO omx08.mx.ning.com) (208.82.16.199) by mta1052.mail.sk1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:16:07 -0800
Received: from unknown (HELO z101079.ningops.com) ([10.16.104.34]) by omx08.mx.ning.com with ESMTP; 01 Mar 2010 17:16:01 +0000
Received: from localhost (slb-snat-10-16-104-41.snv1.ningops.com [/10.16.104.41]) by z101079.ningops.com with SMTP; Mon, 01 03 2010 17:16:01 +0000 (GMT)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:16:01 +0000 (GMT)
From: Open Anthropology Cooperative Add sender to Contacts
Reply-To: do-not-reply@openanthcoop.ning.com
To: Anna Horolets
Message-ID: <24555680.200618531267463761124.JavaMail.xncore@z101079.ningops.com>
Subject: anita added a comment to your profile on Open Anthropology Cooperative
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-XN-MessageType: MSG_COM_PROFILE
X-XN-UUID: 2121c8bb-d75d-42b3-8408-bfb0ae61c14e
X-XN-Super-Happy-Header: zlfXMN9Z9wfjKtYB4Q7xAyNgZvZ-1n4*kghwoQztDhVoJX2YatQw79BaXDzIHZMWmFRvxI3H4FPCuiqmu*ZfbEQDsiu-L3uyzbuPSzO4FaIxi5ynlzd-OZbVVHuNhfljxiyp0xWyTDrYhzW*7IB6k8SMj5yNRbaFYNNbnPPxmZ-fyK7-udgdMzvSJAKWZAgys9fDbP3bQ24H54g2gIUbwrsJPorj2YSJpHEsRyn2eUWCzd0K5L**r9ClYcITSK3qqHRnifYbSXf2TSm2tGJs3-Nz5Epws-CZHYtlhWkm25p0bzeKq00quH9NmldiheuI
Content-Length: 853

Compact Headers
Anita added a comment to your profile on Open Anthropology Cooperative:

Hello.
My Name is anita. I was impressed when i saw your profile openanthcoop.ning.com
and i will like you to email me back to my inbox so that i can send you my picture for you to know who i am.i be...

To view and reply to the new comment, visit:
http://openanthcoop.ning.com/profiles/comment/list?attachedToType=U...

--
To disable email notifications for comments on your profile, go to:
http://openanthcoop.ning.com/profile/AnnaHorolets?xgsi=1&unfoll...

To control which emails you receive on Open Anthropology Cooperative, go to:
http://openanthcoop.ning.com/?xgo=g03VuPN63oZDyVovIsOC-RkEv5DTlcDFo...
Hi Keith, I know it's not much really one can do to avoid spammers - I'll check out if there is some way to set some restrictions to my mail account etc.

By the way - great network! I haven't had the time to really check it all out - but I will soon!!

Lene

Keith Hart said:
It's impossible to block spammers before they do it and the Admins usually suspend them as soon as we notice. Do you have any suggestions?
Hi Anna,

I can't figure out how that one got through, but it's definitely a bot that's also been spamming other Ning networks. I'm reporting it to Ning now. Normally, the Admins would simply ban this member, but they are not appearing in the list of registered users.

With spam that is not visible to us on the main site, it's especially important that it gets reported so that we can take appropriate action. As Keith mentions, we usually suspend spammers as soon as we are aware of them, including pre-empting problems by screening profiles and other content for suspicious activity.

Incidentally, here is Ning's advice on avoiding spam emails via this network:

If you're a member of a Ning Network and someone sends you spam, the first thing to do is to block that person from sending you messages.

At the bottom of your email message, you will see "To control which emails you receive on NING NETWORK NAME, click here." Click on the link and you will be taken to the Opt-Out page. You can choose what emails you would like to opt-out of if you are a member of the Ning Network, block all emails from the sender, or stop receiving all emails from the Ning Network.


Just be careful which emails you disable because you may then not be kept up to date with forum and group posts/updates you have already subscribed to.

Thanks for letting us know about this.


Anna Horolets said:
Dear Keith,
I received something like that at my e-mail address, it is fake, since there is no comment on my account. This is the second time I got spam of this sort pretending to be from Co-operative. anita added a comment to your profile on Open Anthropology CooperativeMonday, 1 March, 2010 18:16From Open Anthropology Cooperative Mon Mar 1 17:16:01 2010 X-Apparently-To: labusia@yahoo.com via 67.195.8.154; Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:16:07 -0800 Return-Path:
Hi,
I also got a similar message from one Linda: linda114love@yahoo.com.ph
Please, administrators take care of this!
Sabine

Francine Barone said:
Hi Anna,

I can't figure out how that one got through, but it's definitely a bot that's also been spamming other Ning networks. I'm reporting it to Ning now. Normally, the Admins would simply ban this member, but they are not appearing in the list of registered users.

With spam that is not visible to us on the main site, it's especially important that it gets reported so that we can take appropriate action. As Keith mentions, we usually suspend spammers as soon as we are aware of them, including pre-empting problems by screening profiles and other content for suspicious activity.

Incidentally, here is Ning's advice on avoiding spam emails via this network:

If you're a member of a Ning Network and someone sends you spam, the first thing to do is to block that person from sending you messages.

At the bottom of your email message, you will see "To control which emails you receive on NING NETWORK NAME, click here." Click on the link and you will be taken to the Opt-Out page. You can choose what emails you would like to opt-out of if you are a member of the Ning Network, block all emails from the sender, or stop receiving all emails from the Ning Network.


Just be careful which emails you disable because you may then not be kept up to date with forum and group posts/updates you have already subscribed to.

Thanks for letting us know about this.


Anna Horolets said:
Dear Keith,
I received something like that at my e-mail address, it is fake, since there is no comment on my account. This is the second time I got spam of this sort pretending to be from Co-operative. anita added a comment to your profile on Open Anthropology CooperativeMonday, 1 March, 2010 18:16From Open Anthropology Cooperative Mon Mar 1 17:16:01 2010 X-Apparently-To: labusia@yahoo.com via 67.195.8.154; Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:16:07 -0800 Return-Path:
Thanks Sabine,

The admins banned multiple instances of spam by this person yesterday within (I hope) a few minutes of their first spam message. It may take a day or so to purge the spam from the site.


Sabine Hess said:
Hi,
I also got a similar message from one Linda: linda114love@yahoo.com.ph Please, administrators take care of this! Sabine

Francine Barone said:
Hi Anna,

I can't figure out how that one got through, but it's definitely a bot that's also been spamming other Ning networks. I'm reporting it to Ning now. Normally, the Admins would simply ban this member, but they are not appearing in the list of registered users. With spam that is not visible to us on the main site, it's especially important that it gets reported so that we can take appropriate action. As Keith mentions, we usually suspend spammers as soon as we are aware of them, including pre-empting problems by screening profiles and other content for suspicious activity.

Incidentally, here is Ning's advice on avoiding spam emails via this network:

If you're a member of a Ning Network and someone sends you spam, the first thing to do is to block that person from sending you messages.

At the bottom of your email message, you will see "To control which emails you receive on NING NETWORK NAME, click here." Click on the link and you will be taken to the Opt-Out page. You can choose what emails you would like to opt-out of if you are a member of the Ning Network, block all emails from the sender, or stop receiving all emails from the Ning Network.


Just be careful which emails you disable because you may then not be kept up to date with forum and group posts/updates you have already subscribed to.

Thanks for letting us know about this.


Anna Horolets said:
Dear Keith,
I received something like that at my e-mail address, it is fake, since there is no comment on my account. This is the second time I got spam of this sort pretending to be from Co-operative. anita added a comment to your profile on Open Anthropology CooperativeMonday, 1 March, 2010 18:16From Open Anthropology Cooperative Mon Mar 1 17:16:01 2010 X-Apparently-To: labusia@yahoo.com via 67.195.8.154; Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:16:07 -0800 Return-Path:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2018   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service