I'm back at school to develop a second career. Anthropology appeals to me and I'd like to ask some actual anthropologists about their career and the current arc of their industry.

Are you happy as an anthropologist?
Is your job boring?
Do you travel as much as you hoped?
Are you learning what you hoped to learn at the outset of your career?
What's a day like?
Do you make adequate money?
What skills do you wish you had developed more as an undergrad?
Is the industry friendly to second career graduates, people starting out at middle age?

For those of you who choose to respond, your answers and the generosity of your time is most appreciated.

Warm Regards;

G

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. Are you happy as an anthropologist?
2. Is your job boring?
3. Do you travel as much as you hoped?
4. Are you learning what you hoped to learn at the outset of your career?
5. What's a day like?
6. Do you make adequate money?
7. What skills do you wish you had developed more as an undergrad?
8. Is the industry friendly to second career graduates, people starting out at middle age?

I didn't answer your questions because they don't make sense. They assume a regular, normal pattern of life. They are ethnocentric to a degree that most actual anthropologists would not be able to recognize themselves in them. I recall when I first lived in an African slum and I asked people questions like 'How much do you spend on meat a week?' They looked at me like I was from Mars, since their lives were highly irregular.

Questions 4 and 7 have a historical dimension that makes them more answerable. But I was just a careerist student and wanted only to get ahead. I don't rate undergraduate education, but have picked up the skills I need as I go along.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service