Does anyone know of anything substantial that has been written on the concept of/practice of adab? It seems to me like a very overlooked subject. The only thing I have found so far has been a discussion of the subject in a South Asian context by Barbara Metcalf. In this case I am, of course, not interested in adab in the literary sense of the term, but in terms of correct behaviour.

Anything else written that I am missing? Any thoughts generally?

Thanks.

Views: 22

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Logan,

I would suggest looking into the literature on Sufism as a starting point (Master and Disciple comes to mind).  Also, I think Mahmood's book on the piety movement develops some of the ideas of correct behavior and comportment usually indicative in the term adab.  I agree that there could be a lot more written about the subject seeing as how important it appears to be in Muslim communities to behave "properly" or "correctly," especially in religious settings.

best,

Rehenuma

Hi Rehenuma,

Thank you for this suggestion. I guess the issue of Sufism goes to the heart of what I am asking myself about writing on adab. My work on the subject has inevitably drawn on tasawufi adab because I find that it is often the most developed type of adab, especially in Turkey (where many of my case studies are) because so much traditional culture has been lost. So, in the devish lodges you have a conscious cultivating of spiritual etiquette, whereas we cant step into an Ottoman sultan's court an longer, for example. At the moment I am asking myself, though, whether I should be looking for work by people who are looking at adab in other settings. So far I ahve found a little bit, but not much.

I have not read 'Master and Disciple' so I will be looking into that.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Logan

Rehenuma Asmi said:

Hey Logan,

I would suggest looking into the literature on Sufism as a starting point (Master and Disciple comes to mind).  Also, I think Mahmood's book on the piety movement develops some of the ideas of correct behavior and comportment usually indicative in the term adab.  I agree that there could be a lot more written about the subject seeing as how important it appears to be in Muslim communities to behave "properly" or "correctly," especially in religious settings.

best,

Rehenuma

RSS

Translate

@OpenAnthCoop

© 2014   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service