For many years I have been working as a social anthropologist (and more broadly as a social scintist) in the field of development studies and in development policy and practice. while there has been a major shift over the years towards a greater concern for 'social' aspects of development (previous dev was dminated by economists) there is a systematic failure to appreciate a) the value of long term engagement with local people in the planning and implementation of 'development' activities and b) the need to listen and learn as much as to tell and inform. Clearly this is not accidental but deeply structured, but I would be interested to share experiences and consider how best to engage with this issue - which permeates the development field.

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much for starting this thread David.

I have very little experience in the world, or study, of international development, but would love to see a discussion emerge here. I would be particularly interested to hear about how far those working in in development see what they do AS anthropology, how far development workers educated in anthropology maintain their identities as anthropologists, and the limits and advantages of their academic education.

The most recent edition of the online Anthropology Matters journal (Volume 12) is devoted to some of these issues: http://www.anthropologymatters.com/

Hi David ... I'm sorry that I wasn't able to reply to this last year but I've just joined OAC now.  I have these very concerns in my new job in a CGIAR Challenge Program, and was looking for a place to discuss them.  If this thread can be taken up again, I will write more.  P.S. I worked for a long time in Niger and have cited your (I believe?) "Anthropology and appraisal" chapter in my work.  thanks ... Karen

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service