As a come together ritual, please answer:

OH WHY HAVE I DISGRACED MYSELF BY STARTING A GRUESOME AND CRUEL PhD IN AnTHROPOLOGY? WHAT SADISTIC REASONS MADE ME CONTINUE SCHOOL FOR SO MANY MORE YEARS?

P.s.: to be taken lightly and answered in a good mood :)

Views: 136

Replies to This Discussion

It was either that or get a real job. :)
As a third year grad student, I concur. There is light at the end of the tunnel, my friend, and hopefully for all of us it won't be a freight train, but some meaningful work. In the meantime, I have no answers to your questions ... only more questions. Between thrashing out for funding and chasing research requests from faculty, some days I think this wasn't exactly the best idea I've ever had. But here I am, and here I'll stay, because if I leave I'll have to pay back my waiting student loans. (/complaining)

Actually, I love this endeavor, and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm going to change the world through anthropology, or at least change some minds, and that's going to be my real reward.
Well so few jobs will let me start drinking at 5pm and pay me to talk about myself... (oh, new school for social research, you did leave an impression, didn't you?)
We all do it for the guaranteed big money once we add that PhD after our names...
Actually, I don't remember "choosing" to do any such thing! As I recall, I was playing poker in a saloon just this side of Rangoon, and was ahead 1000 kyat when I went out on the docks to take a leak. As my back was turned, an anthropologist hit me on the head and everything went black. When I came to I found a flash drive in one hand and a copy of Tristes Tropiques in the other - and signed student loan authorization forms in my back pocket.

I've been shanghaied! Please send help!
At least you got a free book, a flash drive, and the luxury of being unconscious while organizing student loans.

Alex Posecznick said:
Actually, I don't remember "choosing" to do any such thing! As I recall, I was playing poker in a saloon just this side of Rangoon, and was ahead 1000 kyat when I went out on the docks to take a leak. As my back was turned, an anthropologist hit me on the head and everything went black. When I came to I found a flash drive in one hand and a copy of Tristes Tropiques in the other - and signed student loan authorization forms in my back pocket.

I've been shanghaied! Please send help!
we don't have to wear ties.
Gerald P. McKinley said:

Yet ...
It was the conk on the head that the neighbour's boy gave me...it all went south from there!
i don't know any more

Gerald P. McKinley said:

Oh well I haven't started on a PhD yet but thinking that's the way to go as I finish my undergrad years...and I must say, one of the big drawcards for me is the informal dress :)
When you got the answer, let me know, please.

RSS

Translate

@OpenAnthCoop

© 2014   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service