Through a brief research on google, following what Micol said about Kleinman et al, I've found these three books on the subject (same editors, more or less). You can follow the links to give a look on the inside:

* Arthur Kleinman, Veena Das, and Margaret Lock (eds.) (1997) Social Suffering, Berkley/Los Angeles/London, Univeristy of California Press

* Veena Das, Arthur Kleinman, Mamphela Ramphele, and Pamela Raynolds (eds.) (2000), Violence and Subjectivity, Berkley/Los Angeles/London, University of California Press

* Veena Das, Arthur Kleinman, Margaret Lock, Mamphela Ramphele, and Pamela Reynolds (eds.) (2001) Remaking a World. Violence, Social Suffering, and Recovery, Berkley/Los Angeles/London, University of California Press

Please, feel free to add your thoughts on it, or on other references you think may be usefull to think around these matters

Tags: bibliography, social suffering, violence

Views: 95

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much, Ines. And thanks to Micol too, of course. I will start to work in the books,
Joan
joan, what do you think about bibliography on surveillance e vigilance to explore your topic? It's just a suggestion cause I don't have any referencees but Catarina Frois published the last year the book "Sociedade Vigilante. Ensaios sobre Identificação, Privacidade e Vigilância. Lisboa: Imprensa de Ciências Sociais. [in English: The Vigilant Society. Identification, Surveillance and Privacy in Debate] and maybe there you can find some ideas...
Looking on the internet for the MA in Social Anthropology of Conflict, Violence and Conciliation (University of Sussex, UK), I've found some bibliographic references on social suffering recommended for a course on Embodiment & Institutionalisation of Violence, Conflict and Conciliation (Spring 2008). It might be interesting for this group. You can find the document following this link. Crawl down till Week 4: 'Structural Violence' and the Embodiment of Social Suffering.
Thanks Inês this is very helpful.
Liz

Inês Neto Galvão said:
Looking on the internet for the MA in Social Anthropology of Conflict, Violence and Conciliation (University of Sussex, UK), I've found some bibliographic references on social suffering recommended for a course on Embodiment & Institutionalisation of Violence, Conflict and Conciliation (Spring 2008). It might be interesting for this group. You can find the document following this link. Crawl down till Week 4: 'Structural Violence' and the Embodiment of Social Suffering.
Hi, I think we need to correct the spelling, it is Veena Das but not Venna Das! Veena Das is a leading sociologist/anthropologist from India. Thanks!
Done. Thank you, Ranjan. Happy new year!

Ranjan Lekhy said:
Hi, I think we need to correct the spelling, it is Veena Das but not Venna Das! Veena Das is a leading sociologist/anthropologist from India. Thanks!
Happy New Year, Ines!

Sorry, there is no accent key in my laptop!

with regards

Inês Neto Galvão said:
Done. Thank you, Ranjan. Happy new year!

Ranjan Lekhy said:

RSS

Translate

@OpenAnthCoop

© 2014   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service