Social anthropologist. Main focus on kinship and nature use. Have been doing extensive fieldwork throughout Central Asia since the beginning the 1990s.
Working at the moment on :
- representations societies produce of their social organisation (in particular lineage based models)
- Omaha and non-Omaha kinship terminologies in Inner and Northern Asia
- rights on persons and commodities in a comparative perspective (with a focus on the history of slavery in Western Central Asia)
- social uses of natural resources in Central Asian agro-pastoral communities
- history of domestication and animal husbandry in Inner and Northern Asia
On going fieldworks in
- Alay, Karategin, Darwaz, Badakhshan and Pamir plateaux
- Khwarazm and Amu Delta
- Western China
Can converse in English, French, German, Russsian, Persian (Tajik), Uzbek, Kirghiz (or Kazakh) and Turkish.